Monday, October 22, 2012

My Weekend Away

I had a wonderful time this weekend on a GTO (Γ Τ Ω) retreat. Am I a part of the club? No, but it's full of some of the sweetest people on campus. 

There's something gratifying about knowing that you can go away on a retreat with guys and girls and not having to worry about anything going on that shouldn't. On the way back from the bathhouse on Saturday after the day's events were through--and this was around 1:00 a.m.--I heard worship songs being sung around the campfire. 

After everything was done, there was a group of guys and girls singing to God together. Not going off and doing inappropriate things with their significant others, but praising God; worshipping together! 

There was so much this weekend that reminded me of how blessed I am and how much God has given me! There was a period of time on Saturday where we had "Prayer Trail" where we had a passage to read on our own for an hour for personal reflection and prayer to God. You could either read Psalm 39 and 40 or read something of your own. I headed off into the woods to see if I could find a spot off the gravel road. As I made my way down a trail, my heart was warmed as I saw individuals leaning by trees and huddled over logs, bibles cradled in their crossed legs. I couldn't help but smile; THIS is what they want to do on a weekend! Personal reflection and prayer... I digress. 

I looked over into the woods as I walked, saw a fallen tree shaped like an L cradled by gorgeous yellow, orange, and red leaves, and that's when I couldn't keep walking. This was the place for me! I trudged off the path and plunged through the crisp leaves to lean against a tree just above the fallen one. I was seated above a small ravine that then lurched back up into a hillside covered with beautiful autumn leaves. As I sat reading my bible, I heard a rustling in the brush beyond the drop. Looking up, I saw a deer galloping through the leaves. If God was trying to get to me, trying to speak to me, this was definitely that moment. What beautiful things God has given us and blessed us with! He created it all; it was almost too much for me. I was overwhelmed with the beauty around me. The awesome creation I was a part of just going on around me! So often we forget to stop our busy schedules and take the time to enjoy all that God has made. Every bit of nature is so complicated. We go on living, thinking nothing of the natural beauty around us. So often I know that I have thought that it's all just a pretty thing to look at. But below the surface there's so much LIFE! To stop and listen you hear so much. From the leaves to the bugs to the birds and the deer, nature is so complicated. There is nothing about nature that is simple! What a foolish thought! 

I'm done with my rant, my apologies. ;)
But anyway, I read over the passage, and then did some of my own reading. I stumbled upon this passage and thought I'd share:

"But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me. I will bear the indignation of the Lord because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me out to the light; I shall look upon his vindication" (Micah 7:7-9 ESV).

In all, my weekend away was much needed and I enjoyed every bit of it. I feel like even at a Christian University I rarely get enough time in for studying the bible. I was feeling lost, alone, confused. All of the "God time" I got in this weekend boosted my spirits and helped me to remember who I am and who's I am. I hope you all can make time this week for personal reflection and time in prayer with God!

No comments: