Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Love Like God Loves

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" (Martin Luther King Jr.).

This is just a reminder that love goes so much further than hate. Today I'd like to look at 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 in the English Standard Version. I'd like to reflect on the importance of Love. 

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing" (1 Corinthians 13:1-3 ESV).

There is nothing as powerful as love... if there was then God wouldn't be so known for his. That love reaches out to all of God's children! How can we then not show love to one another when God gives his to all of his creation? 

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ESV).

God does not show us his love my forcing it upon us in a smothering way. We can choose to accept his love or choose to ignore it. By ignoring that love, we ignore the very thing that binds us to him. In the same way, we have to remember that our love must spread to all of mankind and God's creation but understand that not everyone is going to want it. Just because someone doesn't want the love we are to give, doesn't mean we should ever stop loving. Love is never-ending! Never-failing... it is a fire that cannot be put out, a thirst that can never be quenched, an emotion that cannot be tamed. We are the epitome of love. Because of this fact, there is no way to believe that we can live without it.

Here's the rest of the passage for you all to read if you'd like to, I love it! ;)

"Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:8-13 ESV).

No comments: